Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 48-54 - Virginia Beach - Last Day


Holiday Trav-L-Park  3/4/2015 - 3/10/2015
1075 General Booth Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23451

Yesterday, Sunday, was the best day I've experienced on this trip.  Yes, there was a day or two in Clermont, FL, but that's to be expected.  Yesterday, the temp hit 70°, sunny with a slight breeze, and I enjoyed sitting outside for a couple of hours.  How nice it felt.  My camera was ready for the "fly boys."  I could just sit in the comfort of my lounge chair and point and shoot as these magnificent machines made their way to the landing strip.  Oops, it was Sunday.  Not a plane in the sky.  Wherever they were, they returned home about 9:00 pm and it didn't get quiet until a little after 11:00 p.m. 

These two photos of mine
are the best I could do.
This is an example of the type of shot I wanted.  They were
not flying as low on their approach as I have experienced.
Yet, this is my best shot.

One thing is certain.  I have a greater respect and admiration for our military after witnessing their daily routines and training flights (219,000 each year).  Not that it wasn't previously great but "living" near the base of operations simply brought it home nicely.  The other certainty was the realization that these beauties must be re-fueled and maintained 24/7.  And there's 300 of them.  Although they are not all here in a given moment, their care and maintenance must be astronomical.  The base accommodates about 22,700 personnel.  This includes 10,000 military, 11,000 family members and 1,700 civilian employees.  Be they on board an aircraft carrier or flying these training missions, it's impressive.

Knowing my stay in Clarkesboro, NJ at Timberlane Campground is just overnight, the task of winterizing Winnie will take place before I leave that campground. Today, I've cleaned, washed, mopped, polished, and otherwise readied things for off loading into the Caddy when I get home.  I'm pleased to say I've "eaten myself out of house and home."  All I may have to pickup on my drive home will be milk.  There's little else to bring home but expecting more freezing nights, I will take it all home.  My list of needs is already prepared for my first season trip, Tuesday, May 26th.  If possible, I'll try to get some more time at Croton Point Park during the month of April.

Ah, April.  A great month.

  • Easter falls early and it will be the first time in seven years I'll have Easter Sunday dinner with my mother and sister.  In years past I was in Daytona Beach Shores for the entire month of April and celebrated Easter with relatives in Boca Raton, FL.
  • Granddaughter, Beca, will not be coming home for her Easter break due to her Equestrian schedule.  I will make some trips to Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT and spend some time with her--and, no doubt, enjoy some good food.  Alas, sushi is a foreign word to my cutie.

First time in SHU's history, they're
Regional Champions for Hunt Seat
and Western and she's proud to be
a part of it.
For some reason, says Beca, Tank has to have
his face next to Beca whenever she's near.



















  • Granddaughter, Sara, presently studying Marine Sciences at Griffith University in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, will turn 21 April 16th.  An unthinkable milestone a grandparent must endure.
Orientation Week diving the Great Barrier Week

  • Daughter, Marybeth, fulfilling a bucket list item, took the course and test, scored 90, and is now an official soccer referee.  I'll now watch soccer with my mouth shut knowing there's a great ref in charge.






Click here  to see her in action on the field.


Unfortunately, she won't be able to officiate any of Beca's soccer games now that she's in college.  :-( 



  • Son, Chuck, will be celebrating his birthday in April as well.  We cannot go into depth on this topic because it hurts me more than it hurts him.  Suffice it to say he'll soon be approaching the average age of the African Grey Parrot, Camel, and Macaw. Thank goodness he'll never look it (the age, not the animals).  










Some photos not yet shared:


Very clean laundry facility at
Holiday Trav-L-Park

...Today, I had to sit and
watch how they frolic and make babies.  Geeze.
A tree rat came to visit me while
I sat out and enjoyed the warm
temperatures.....


Good bye, Virginia Beach.  I'll see y'all at the Timberlane Campground in Clarkesboro, NJ.  (Yeah, I've never heard of it either.)





1 comment:

  1. That picture of Beca with the horse is priceless. That would be a good one to publish(if you have the permissions, of course. Ⓜ

    ReplyDelete